Sunday, July 15, 2007

Meditalia - Chapter Tre

No one could have prepared me for Assisi. It is like stepping out of the world as I knew it. After the crowded hustle & bustle of Florence, this was like breathing again. I've never seen a place so shaped by its famous residents, S. Francesco and Santa Chiara (St. Francis & St. Clare). Their spirit is everywhere here, although sometimes you need to look past the tacky souvenirs. :-)

So many interesting little stories... I only have 19 minutes left on this internet card, so I'll type fast & furious. Some of the things I want to remember:
  • seeing my first field of sunflowers on the train ride from Florence to Assisi
  • the welcome we received at St-Anthony's Guest House - these accomodations are perfetto!
  • being overcome with tears as I stood surrounded by the beauty of the Basilica San Francesco
  • getting pooped on by a pigeon - good luck- on Friday the 13th - bad luck ( there's GOTTA be some symbolism in that somewhere!)
  • chatting with an Italian artist in his shop, having him ask me to use my contacts in the Canadian government to sponsor a show of his work in Canada (my contacts in the Cdn. government?! Can't help much there, I'm afraid! :-))
  • our adorable story-telling friar, Fra Daniele, at the Porziuncola in S. Maria del'Angeli. This is one of the most sacred spots in the story of S. Francesco and Fra Daniele shared his stories in beautifully accented English with passion and joy. What a treat!
  • meditating in an 800-year old church
  • sitting in Piazza Santa Chiara at night, listening to a spontaneous concert by a small choir
  • attending a concert at Santa Maria Maggiore church, one of the oldest in Assisi I think, where a visiting choir was performing Fauré's Requiem - one of my favourite pieces!

I'll stop there for now... This is our last full day in Assisi. It's very hot outside and we're taking it easy to stay cool. This morning started with a walk up to Rocca Maggiore where we stood at the very highest point possible, looking down to Assisi and the Spoleto Valley below. It was worth overcoming my fear of heights for that view!!

Thanks to those of you who leave comments - it's great! K, unfortunately, I don't know how to post photos from these little cafés. I'll see if I can figure it out in Cortona, our next stop. I suspect that photos will never be able to capture the intangible spirit of this place.

Ciao from Italia, friends! Belated wishes to Jack & Jay on their wedding anniversary, and to Ted on his birthday, and to anyone else who has been busy celebrating this past week. Also, I believe Hubby is running a 10-miler in Toronto as I sit here, a half-world away. Hope all goes well, Babe!

I've decided to sign off using the traditional Franciscan greeting from now on. And so, until next time...

Pace e bene,

2 comments:

Steph said...

It all sounds so beautiful and moving! Thanks for sharing it all with us, pigeon poop & all! :)

Love Steph
xox

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the descriptive text. In my mind's eye, I try to envision what you see but surely will never come close to your true experiences. I'm sure you will have lots of photos to share on your return.
Enjoy!!
Jep